Sunday, October 11, 2009

For The Love of Cinema

One of the most frustrating things about living in Zambia is not being able to watch all the ten billion amazing films that are being churned out by brilliant minds on a daily basis. Yes, we have a (terribly-stocked) Blockbusters...but, come on, my Saturday-night-in movie choices should not have to come down to "Saw III" or [insert gag-worthy sap-fest starring Hugh Grant and/or Sandra Bullock].

So instead of actually watching all the films that I want to - I find out as much about them as I possibly can. From magazines, blogs, (lucky) friends, online reviews, TV, youtube - I obsessively live vicariously through all the popcorn popping, soda slurping, back-row hogging movie-goers out there. So, from all my secondary-source research (which, I'd like to point out takes immense commitment/patience as internet in Zambia is, well, only a tad faster than dying-snail pace) I have compiled a list of movies that I am dying to watch and my reasons why (it being understood that I've vowed to watch them all by the end of the year). I know a lot of you have probably already seen many of these so I'd love to know your thoughts on them - so feel free to recommend and/or critique any of my choices.

1. The Time That Remains (Palestine/France), directed by Elia Suleiman



Elia Suleiman. Err, what else do you need to know?

2. Inglourious Basterds (USA), directed by Quentin Tarantino



It's Tarantino. And, even though Peter Bradshaw (a god who influences many of my filmic decisions) hated it, I will stand by my Quinty through the good, the bad and the ugly (Woody Allen fans, you know where I'm coming from right?).

3. Up (USA), directed by Pete Docter



See 1:21 - 1:32. Also, did you not just watch the Trailer??

4. The White Ribbon (Austria), directed by Michael Haneke



Haneke, Palme D'or and it took over 10 years to make. What's not to like?

5. Wake Up, Sid! (India), directed by Ayan Mukerji



Konkona Sen. A spirited Ranbir Kapoor. A young, Bengali director. SEL's soul-lifting music. A coming-of-age story set in Bombay (not Mumbai). Promises to be fabulous!

6. A Single Man (USA), directed by Tom Ford


No, I'm not one of those women who has fondly fantasised about Dreamy Mr. Darcy (although that might have something to do with the fact that I haven't actually seen the BBC's "Pride & Prejudice"), but I do like Colin Firth very much. And I leapt for joy when I found out that he had won the Coppa Volpi Best Actor Award at the Venice Film Festival for his role in this film. The story is fascinating and I can't help but think that it will be one of those films that leaves one paralysed as the credits roll.

7. Amreeka (Palestine/USA), directed by Cherien Dabis



:D. I watched an interview with Cherien on Al-Jazeera and was blown away by how down-to-earth, beautiful and utterly unassuming she is. Her honesty as an artist and human being shines through even in a 2min17sec trailer. I really cannot wait to watch this one.

8. An Education (UK), directed by Lone Scherfig



I have a feeling this is one of those films that knocks the wind right out of you in the theatre. And leaves you all the wiser for it.

9. Capitalism: A Love Story (USA), directed by Michael Moore



Because I LOVE Michael Moore and his gloriously obnoxious self. Everything about him makes me tingle with joy and I just can't get enough. No, but seriously - he's awesome :P Anyone who has the balls to try and make a citizen's arrest of top AIG officials and/or drive an armoured truck to recover government bail-out money cannot but be one of my favourite people. This should be a ride and a half.

10. Anything with Michael Cera in it. But especially, Paper Heart.


----

In Conclusion/EPIPHANY: White people make awesome movies!

N.B. - The layout of my blog cuts part of the youtube screen in half...you might want to watch the trailers in fullscreen mode/from the source website for full effect.

3 comments:

  1. i can't believe i'm going to miss 'wake up sid'...then again, watching it by myself just isn't fun:(

    i'm planning on catching 'new york, i love you'. it's a collage of love stories set in our favourite city, much like 'love actually', actually. except that besides the ensemble cast, there's a pretty diverse bunch of directors too. mira nair's one of them, which makes up for the fact that natalie portman AND hayden christensen are in it too. i'm afraid i don't know much else about the film though.

    ps: ethan hawke's got a part as well, apparently...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I haven't actually about a LOT of these films! They don't bring the good english movies - it's so frustrating. They just look at any movie that looks like a chick flick and play it like for a week! Although Inglourious Basterds is playing currently. But I'm not sure that I can handle all the blood and gore on a big screen - i'll have to try and catch it on DVD... A Single Man looks really interesting... and I agree - Michael Moore is brilliant!
    As for Wake Up Sid. Loved it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kai: oh yeah i've heard about "New York, I Love You" - it's like "Paris, Je T'aime" (obvi set in Paris)...you should see that too, it's very *sigh*-inducing. and OMG Hayden Christensen is in it?? dude, i watched "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" twice each just because he stars in them...he's pretty much the most desirable man in the world, imho lol.

    i miss our Bollywood nights :( i think "Wake Up Sid!" should be amazing even if you're alone - watch it and let me know how it is!! "Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi" review coming to an inbox near you very soon :)

    @Tina: yeah, cinema halls here pick their screenings in much the same way! although i did watch "District 9" last week...wasn't as good as i had heard it to be. oh well, still infinitely better than "The Proposal" i suppose!

    ReplyDelete