Saturday, September 5, 2009

No work, only play on Saturday!

I've found it very hard to sit down and study today. I've spent most of the morning sipping on Mango tea, chair-raving to some really excellent Trance sets sent to me by friends I've made through this gloriously interconnected EDM world and gorging myself on yoghurt and snazzy fresh fruit. I've had my text book open to Chapter 5: Corporate Governance and Social Responsibility for the last hour and a half. Just cannot seem to get into it today. Bah.

Watched Delhi 6 last night. Hmmm, wasn't exactly impressed by it or anything - but wasn't as grossly disappointed as I know a lot of people were. I thought Abhishek was really quite excellent (though it was hilarious seeing him struggle with the American accent...who knew New Yorkers *actually* speak with an Aussie/Cockney accent when they're nervous? lol), Sonam Kapoor was delectably gorgeous, the cinematography was magical (Delhi is one of my least favourite cities, and still I found myself falling a little bit in love with the narrow galis and cluttered skyline), and I can watch the movie a thousand times just to be able to witness the sheer perfection of "Dil Gira Dafatan". Ultimately, though, the film felt a little preachy and kind of raw. Lish asked me who my favourite character in the film was...umm I'd have to say the random fakir with his mirror who tries (without success?) to drive home the Sufi message that god resides in each of us. All in all, a 6/10 rating (would've been 5, but "Dil Gira Dafatan" kicks it up a notch).

I decided last night that I'm going to re-read the Harry Potter series. I've read the first 5 books like 8 times each, the 6th 4 times and the 7th only once. I haven't read them in a terribly long time, so I feel like each plot twist will surprise me. For which I'm very excited. (Hey, my life is boring, OK. Joy in the little things, remember?)

And yeah, before you remind me, it's Electric Zoo weekend in New York. First thing I thought about when I woke up this morning. I had my tickets bought in April :'( ...I suppose more than not being able to be at the actual event itself (because, honestly, Ibiza/Mykonos this summer was 5trillion times better than any Electric Zoo ever can be), I feel like it's what EZF stood for. I suppose I'm more disappointed in the fact that none of my life plans have seemed to pan out the way I've expected them to in the past few months. It makes me feel so utterly powerless...

Oh, STUFF IT! So I'm not in New York for EZF! But I can certainly pump myself up with some bangin' Hard Trance, look forward to having coffee with Amadeus (yes, that's his real name), and of course get sucked into Harry's transformation from mere Muggle to Hogwarts freshman. No more Negative Nancy behaviour from me!

Ooh ok, an M6 belter on Daniel's set is emanating from my speakers. Must get back to my duties as a chair raver. Good day to you all!

Hands-in-the-air love,
S xxx

P.S. - Those of you who ARE at the Electric Zoo Festival today/tomorrow - have an amazing time! And give Markus Schulz, Armin van Buuren and Menno de Jong my lurv :)

3 comments:

  1. my goodness, reading the WHOLE series AGAIN? ok, i like HP but I don't think I'll ever read it all again. :P
    you should talk to my friend, Sharan. she's MAD abt HP.

    And hey, everything happens for a reason...

    Love you, really do.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should read HP backwards. Start at 7 and work your way back to #1. It gives you a completely different outlook on HP and you pick up details that you don't otherwise (i.e. reading it 1-7).

    Can you tell i've done it? haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tina - haha i do feel like a little bit of a dork reading the whole series again, but i'm already enjoying the experience SO much! and yeah, i keep reminding myself that there's a reason for why things happen the way they do. love you!

    @Nabz - aah that sounds amazing! too bad i'm already on page 90 of Book 1...but i suppose your plan gives me an excuse to read the series one more time after this round haha! i LOVE that you've done it though - it's so clever, and i can see exactly how different the reading must be.

    ReplyDelete